Skip to main content

Celebrating Hanukkah in Class

In keeping with our belief that it is important to expose children to different holidays, we celebrated Hanukkah in class today.

Of course, we made potato latkes...

We squeezed out all the water- cooking becomes a gross motor activity as we use our whole body!

We cracked eggs. Three people and three eggs- phew!


We fried them in oil-yum!

Comments made while watching them frying in the pan:

Kensie: I see it getting brown a little bit.
Connor: It smells yummy. It smells like hash browns.
Miele: I think it smells good.
Connor: Hash browns, I love so much.
Miele: Me too!
Connor: There is hash browns at Great Wolf Lodge.
Miele: I have been there. We had a hot tub and a snow ball fight.
Connor: They have a scary ride.
Miele: My brother went on that. I can't go on the ride at the PNE.
Kensie: I went to the PNE. I saw the dog show.
Miele: I went to the dog show.
Kensie: Flip them (the latkes).
Connor: It smells like crab.

Everyone tried the latkes and this is what they had to say:

Rhys: I tried it and I didn't like it.
Emma: I know I liked it 'cause I ate it in the blue class.
Jack: I super like it!
Sebastian: I LOVE it!
Jack: Oh my god! That's so yummy!
Makena: I want more.
Kahlen: Mmmm, I like it.
Ryhan: I don't like it.
Jordyn: I like it. I love it!
Connor: Good (this was through a mouthful of food)
Grace: Yum! Mmm, yummy, I like it.

This conversation took place while all three children squeezed onto our little footstool. You cannot see Miele because she is in front of them. This conversation demonstrated such a great ability to listen to each other, respond appropriately and keep the dialogue moving forward. I love how they share the events in their life; it reveals the importance of having special moments with our children. Taking the time to go to little get-aways or fairs as a family makes a very strong impression.



We played dreidel, with our own set of rules. When I explained the game and where it came from I also asked them to try to make choices that would make the game fun for everyone. This meant that it was not advisable to pout, argue or say that the game wasn't fair. Games like this have the potential for some explosive moments but today the game was calm and all were content. A true Hanukkah Miracle-  how appropriate for this game!




We talked about the Menorah and I asked them why they thought there were 9 candles when the holiday was only celebrated for 8 nights. These were their answers:

Sebastian: Maybe 'cause there is an extra one.
Jack: Maybe they like it better in the middle candle.
Kahlen: If they lost one, then they have an extra one.
Emma: Maybe they think it looks nicer.
Jordyn: Maybe they just put an extra one.
Grace: Because they need candles for light.
Addie: Maybe they just make it like that.

Happy Hanukkah to all our families! 



Emily

Comments

Alexis said…
Once again, Emily, you amaze me!!

I love how our children can flit back and forth between conversation topics and nobody misses a beat.

We are truly blessed to be able to share so many wonderful experiences with our amazing children!

Happy Hanukkah!
WRCC said…
Couldn't agree with you more Alexis- we are blessed! What a joy to listen and learn from their conversations!

Popular posts from this blog

The River - 4 Hour Class

We went out to the park to play and something caught our eyes. There was something new and different. One of the paths in the park was flooded with water. The children quickly gravitated towards it and decided to walk in the water. Chloe said that they were crossing a river. Andrew noted that they can walk in the water because they are wearing their boots. Sara replied with “our feet won't get wet”. Adonis was watching the other children walk in the water. I knew how badly he wanted to do it as well. But he was not wearing his boots. He went around the playground and saw a big branch and started dragging it. I wondered what he would do with the branch.       Adonis brought it to “the river” and started tossing it in the water. Alvis saw what he was doing and quickly joined in. Adonis threw the branch in the water and Alvis got it in “the river” for him. Alvis was wearing his boots so he was able to be in “the river”. They speculated about the size of the splash on

Oil, Water & Food Colouring - 4 Year Old Class

The children experimented with oil, water, food colouring and pipettes this morning. They squeezed drops of coloured water into a layer of oil and were engaged for a very long while. This is a simple activity with an intriguing effect.  Irena gently and carefully shook the tray back and forth, blending colours.   Roan watched a small drop rolling up and down the pipette.   Daniel said “The circle drop is getting bigger and darker. It's dark green and red and purple.”   Charlie seemed intrigued while watching water move up and down the pipette as he squeezes the bottom. Lucas thoughtfully puts the strips of paper from a weaving activity in order, and then begins threading the strips through. A very time consuming activity.     While Lucas was having snack, Tiffany and Cara decide to take over where he left off. Lucas comes over to check out the progress. Lucas, while looking at the completed activity said “Cool, the g