Skip to main content

Team Work!


The Stew

We began our day with a cooking project. Miele had been leafing though a cookbook she borrowed on our last library visit and found a chicken stew she wanted to make. I love how excited she has been about this book- she has been leafing through and finding all sorts of delicious looking treats that have tantalized her taste buds! Since we had carrots, beets and rutabagas from the garden we decided to alter the recipe slightly. Funnily enough, her participation in this project was minimal because she was more interested in building the beaver dam.









 15 out of the 16 students tried it, many had second helpings and everyone liked it. A few comments that were overheard while eating:

Jack: I love it!
Rhys: I tried it and I like it!
Jordyn: I loooove it!
Grace: Yummy!
Matias: I like it. (Later he said he didn't like it but he ate his whole bowl)
Makena: I like it.
Connor: It's yummy and I want more.
Emma: I like the chicken pieces a lot. And the carrots.

I was overjoyed that this many children liked it as we know that children often prefer their food separately, rather than combined in a stew-like format! Perhaps because they grew the veggies, perhaps because they cooked the stew, perhaps because they could identify everything, perhaps because we all eat together, perhaps because it was yummy…. they enjoyed the dish. Things to think about in our own family's food life.

The Beaver Dam

After deciding to make a beaver dam last week, each child agreed to bring in 10 sticks. I am not sure if everyone brought sticks but we had quite the pile! Since we wanted the children to really be able to build it themselves without an overabundance of adult support, we knew we needed to provide them with a base for the sticks. Boxes seemed the easiest solution and it worked very well. At first we thought about gluing on the sticks with hot glue but we then knew this would then become an adult piece. So, we gathered up many rolls of masking tape and put them beside the boxes. Again, we had to step back as we knew that masking tape would not be as aesthetically pleasing as clear tape but is much more manageable for the children to use on their own.













Kensie under the box. Her arms must be sore today-she worked tirelessly under there!



Rhys spent at least 5 minutes trying to work with this clear tape. Her worked patiently and never sought the help of a teacher.


These are a few of the comments made during this activity.

Kensie: I am working on the top.
Connor: I am trying to make a window. We need tape.
Miele: Sebastian, put this stick here.
Sebastian: Yeah.
Rhys: Wait a minute, the tape is falling off.
Connor: Got it. I want to colour it. Can you hold this down, Rhys, again. I get another tape. Got it. Phew, that was a close one.
Sebastian: We need more. One more. Can you got one Connor?
Connor: OK, I got it.
Miele: This is a door. It will swing open.
Sebastian: My idea isn't going to work. It won't stick.
Miele; I want to put tape on the door. Emma, can you help me hold this? Sebastian, can you come and tape this please?
Sebastian: OK.
Emma: I am piling up sticks so you don't have to get them far.
Miele: I am using double tape.
Emma: Keep it up. I am doing some work here.
Jack: (singing to the tune of the ABC song) I need more tape.
Addie: Jack, how about I do the taping?
Jack: OK.
Rhys: I will help you.
Connor: I made an alarm. A burglar alarm.

I sat back and listened in complete awe. They have come so far in such little time. Their ability to work collectively struck me in a profound way. I never tire of watching children go through the natural stages of social development- moving from solitary play to cooperative play. It is so lovely to see this degree of collaboration; even the moments where there is conflict are joyous. I believe these skills will carry them through their lives.

I find myself wondering a lot of questions. How will their conversations sound in March? June? Next year? How do children who are shy feel about these types of group projects? How can we make everyone feel welcome? How come some children emerge as leaders so easily? How can we make everyone a leader, in their own way?

Beaver dam building continues on Monday so stay tuned!

Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The River - 4 Hour Class

We went out to the park to play and something caught our eyes. There was something new and different. One of the paths in the park was flooded with water. The children quickly gravitated towards it and decided to walk in the water. Chloe said that they were crossing a river. Andrew noted that they can walk in the water because they are wearing their boots. Sara replied with “our feet won't get wet”. Adonis was watching the other children walk in the water. I knew how badly he wanted to do it as well. But he was not wearing his boots. He went around the playground and saw a big branch and started dragging it. I wondered what he would do with the branch.       Adonis brought it to “the river” and started tossing it in the water. Alvis saw what he was doing and quickly joined in. Adonis threw the branch in the water and Alvis got it in “the river” for him. Alvis was wearing his boots so he was able to be in “the river”. They speculated about the size of the splash on

Oil, Water & Food Colouring - 4 Year Old Class

The children experimented with oil, water, food colouring and pipettes this morning. They squeezed drops of coloured water into a layer of oil and were engaged for a very long while. This is a simple activity with an intriguing effect.  Irena gently and carefully shook the tray back and forth, blending colours.   Roan watched a small drop rolling up and down the pipette.   Daniel said “The circle drop is getting bigger and darker. It's dark green and red and purple.”   Charlie seemed intrigued while watching water move up and down the pipette as he squeezes the bottom. Lucas thoughtfully puts the strips of paper from a weaving activity in order, and then begins threading the strips through. A very time consuming activity.     While Lucas was having snack, Tiffany and Cara decide to take over where he left off. Lucas comes over to check out the progress. Lucas, while looking at the completed activity said “Cool, the g