Skip to main content

Farm to Table Dinner Reflections and Eggs...

Our Farm to Table evening with all our families was so  lovely on so many levels. I know all our staff felt very proud of  our class and we were thrilled to share our work with you. The process of getting the dinner organized was intense... both in and out of class. But the outcome could not have been more rewarding;  the sense of community, the learning around eating locally, being environmentally responsible and the knowledge that as a group we can set goals and see them through proved to resonate strongly. We greatly appreciate all your support and spirit.

The children were so excited leading up to the event I was very curious to know what stood out for them after the event. Would it be the food? The music? The guests? The tiffins? I really wasn't sure so I asked each child what their favourite thing was about the dinner and these are their answers:

Loreli: The Sponge Bob Square Pants song
Sidney: The music... I liked dancing with Alexa's brother, Dominic
Emily: I like getting my tiffiin cause I was so excited
Zev: I liked the quinoa.
Bryn: I have 2 favourite things, shelling beans and getting the tiffin
Cyanna: Getting the tiffin cause I was so excited
Cash: I was being excited at getting my tiffin
Luca:  Getting my tiffin cause I love it.
Chloe: I liked dancing and you watching me and my mom watching me.
Kayla: I like having my pictures out.
Cole: I like my tiffin and my brother comed.
Nico: Getting my tiffin cause I like it.
Alexa: Getting my tiffin cause it can open easily and I don't make garbage.

Almost everyone brought their tiffin to school and one child slept with their tiffin!








We really wanted to  enjoy our day, spend lots of time outside and relax after our big night. The free art station was busy:








Playdough and lego... lots of good conversation and creativity...

Cash's lego treehouse

Kayla's sun

Loreli's design

Chloe's "happy sun"

Nico's shooting machine

Cole's something to shoot

I watched the most wonderful play unfold today. As you know, Luca set us off on a study of penguins which led to a study of eggs. The children have been very involved in these discussions and were all  very happy to meet Luca's stuffed penguin, named Penguino. Last week, for his All About Me Bag, Penguino came to the seniors home with us. Yesterday, while on the turf, Luca gathered four soccer balls, sat on them and said " I am hatching penguin eggs." Cyanna joined in and the two of them hatched many many eggs, taking turns. Other children were intrigued and would watch for a while then go off and play.

As we were leaving the turf, Luca asked if he could use the balls to hatch more eggs so when we went back to the classroom, Emmett dug up some smaller balls that were more appropriate  for the classroom. I was amazed at the play that continued. Out hatched Penguino, Augustine, Ketchup and Waddles. Sometimes Mustard was born, too. Soon other children were involved and they were negotiating roles:

Emily: I am the mommy penguin and Luca is the daddy penguin.
Sidney: And I am the sister.
Emily: I sat on them.
Sidney: Are they ok?
Luca: Yea.
Sidney: One is hatching, one is hatching
Luca: In one minute it is out. They are hatched.
Emily: Them is hatching, look, it's penguins.
Sidney: This one is born.
Colin ( who was nearby reading a book) That is Penguino.
Emily: Colin is the brother.
Sidney: Who's the baby?
Luca: These are the babies (pointing to the balls)
Sidney: Oh yea, I forgot.
Luca then  kissed each "penguin" (ball)
Sidney: Pumpkins start as a weed, the leaf turns into a flower and the flower turns into a pumpkin.

They held the balls, they talked about whether they had a soft or hard shell, they nestled them in a blanket and when Luca wanted to go eat snack he delegated someone to watch over them.




Emily took one of the penguin books off the shelf to teach her friends about the life cycle of a penguin.


This play was so rich. There were so many themes woven through the play. The idea of caring for others and attachment, animal science, and roles within a family. I am interested to see where this will go...other animals. people? What else can I bring in to extend these deep moments?

A truly beautiful day.

Emily
  

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow that was some great connecting I love how caring luca is over his babies. I think just having the eggs out will help them explore even more. It's amazing how learning comes in such simple ways

Popular posts from this blog

The River - 4 Hour Class

We went out to the park to play and something caught our eyes. There was something new and different. One of the paths in the park was flooded with water. The children quickly gravitated towards it and decided to walk in the water. Chloe said that they were crossing a river. Andrew noted that they can walk in the water because they are wearing their boots. Sara replied with “our feet won't get wet”. Adonis was watching the other children walk in the water. I knew how badly he wanted to do it as well. But he was not wearing his boots. He went around the playground and saw a big branch and started dragging it. I wondered what he would do with the branch.       Adonis brought it to “the river” and started tossing it in the water. Alvis saw what he was doing and quickly joined in. Adonis threw the branch in the water and Alvis got it in “the river” for him. Alvis was wearing his boots so he was able to be in “the river”. They speculated about the size of the splash on

Oil, Water & Food Colouring - 4 Year Old Class

The children experimented with oil, water, food colouring and pipettes this morning. They squeezed drops of coloured water into a layer of oil and were engaged for a very long while. This is a simple activity with an intriguing effect.  Irena gently and carefully shook the tray back and forth, blending colours.   Roan watched a small drop rolling up and down the pipette.   Daniel said “The circle drop is getting bigger and darker. It's dark green and red and purple.”   Charlie seemed intrigued while watching water move up and down the pipette as he squeezes the bottom. Lucas thoughtfully puts the strips of paper from a weaving activity in order, and then begins threading the strips through. A very time consuming activity.     While Lucas was having snack, Tiffany and Cara decide to take over where he left off. Lucas comes over to check out the progress. Lucas, while looking at the completed activity said “Cool, the g